City of Rookroost
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the Neverwinter Nights 2 Persistent World, City of Rookroost.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

DMFI

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Mammon
Admin
Mammon

DMFI Empty
PostSubject: DMFI   DMFI EmptySun Aug 29, 2010 6:52 pm

What's y'all's thoughts on using the DMFI tools? Is it a necessity? you could care either way? Lemme know whatcha think.

If you don't know what the DMFI tools are go download the tools and the training module from the vault and check it out.
Back to top Go down
NWN DM

NWN DM

DMFI Empty
PostSubject: Re: DMFI   DMFI EmptySun Aug 29, 2010 7:53 pm

I can't imagine DMing without them.

That said, Pain from DeX is doing some serious work on a major revision of the existing package right now. Over on IRC is the place to learn more about it.

Use them, one way or the other. The stock/default DMC just isn't up to the job otherwise.
Back to top Go down
Mammon
Admin
Mammon

DMFI Empty
PostSubject: Re: DMFI   DMFI EmptySun Aug 29, 2010 7:57 pm

do you know how to set it up? I'm told that you have to use their base mod, so would that mean just exporting our work thus far as an .erf and then importing it to their base mod and deleting what we dont need?
Back to top Go down
NWN DM

NWN DM

DMFI Empty
PostSubject: Re: DMFI   DMFI EmptySun Aug 29, 2010 8:27 pm

That certainly is one way to do it, yes.

I think there's also a package you import into your existing module, and then have to join some new scripting to existing versions to get it to work the other way.

For me, I had to join scripts together because I also use the PnP Coins scripting package. Great stuff when you get it to all work nicely together!
Back to top Go down
Mammon
Admin
Mammon

DMFI Empty
PostSubject: Re: DMFI   DMFI EmptySun Aug 29, 2010 8:38 pm

I'll probably just import what i have to the module... I have to modify a lot of scripts tobe pathfinder ready though.

do you have any working fugue-like areas we can use for our death area? I know the fugue doesn't exist in Greyhawk, but I'm not quite sure what to use in it's place. Perhaps someone with some older-version knowledge that I don't can help me out here...
Back to top Go down
NWN DM

NWN DM

DMFI Empty
PostSubject: Re: DMFI   DMFI EmptySun Aug 29, 2010 8:48 pm

In my campaign, I just have a straight 2x2 room with a door to get back into play after an appropriate XP penalty.

Themed to look like a "purgatory" version of the OOC Room people log into.
Back to top Go down
All Washed Up
Admin
All Washed Up

DMFI Empty
PostSubject: Re: DMFI   DMFI EmptyMon Aug 30, 2010 2:44 am

I like it, nice and simple. I would suggest they have to go through a convo before they can leave... one that explains they do not recall where or how they died, or who killed them if it was pvp.

It was always terribly frustrating as a player when another player ran right back to where they died and they were screaming they just got back from the fugue... not as annoying as running into captain planet and papa smurf in Arabel tho.
Back to top Go down
Mammon
Admin
Mammon

DMFI Empty
PostSubject: Re: DMFI   DMFI EmptyMon Aug 30, 2010 12:10 pm

Heh, I'm thinking a small exterior area with high fog and appropriate features. The conversation is a must, with a ghost or something, that explains that XP loss translates into memory loss in game terms, and whatever other rules we feel like imparting to people concerning respawning and resurrection.
Back to top Go down
NightBelow

NightBelow

DMFI Empty
PostSubject: Re: DMFI   DMFI EmptyMon Sep 06, 2010 4:27 am

DMFI / PC tools is a must for a PW if you ask me. The option to have more animations / emotes alone is worth the effort.
That being said, additional animations / emotes in any form (DMFI, KEMO, etc. etc.) never hurt. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
simmostrikes

simmostrikes

DMFI Empty
PostSubject: Re: DMFI   DMFI EmptyMon Sep 06, 2010 4:33 am

DMFI is hugely useful. But with regards to the kit to import it into your currently made module. It is not that hard, just a few scripts to move. IIRC it even comes with instructions too.

Also I believe there was some sort of afterlife... maybe the area could be named Nerull's (god of death) hallway or gateway with some spooky ghost who works for Nerull and let's the player know they are not on his list and have to go back to the living world.

Small and simple is best though.
Back to top Go down
Mammon
Admin
Mammon

DMFI Empty
PostSubject: Re: DMFI   DMFI EmptyMon Sep 06, 2010 9:33 am

the DMFI components have been included in Pain's community script library. We'll integrate the CSL, which will also give better stability to the database commands as well, making persistent storage and permanent rooms easier to integrate.

As for Nerull's realm, I'm thinking of building an outdoor area and putting the fog as thick as it can be, make it look graveyardish. anyways, just a thought. if anyone else has a better idea have at :-). It's kinda far back on the list for me to build right now, but it'll need to be done before launch :-)
Back to top Go down
simmostrikes

simmostrikes

DMFI Empty
PostSubject: Re: DMFI   DMFI EmptyTue Sep 07, 2010 7:11 am

I'll throw something together Wink
Back to top Go down
NightBelow

NightBelow

DMFI Empty
PostSubject: Re: DMFI   DMFI EmptyTue Sep 07, 2010 10:01 am

A fugue area (I.E. a shard of Nerull's realm) would make a lot of sense, especially to give people the chance to roleplay while being in this suspended state, before respawning, being raised or aided by divine (DM) intervention. It should not be too small, and something along the lines of an abandoned and crumbling graveyard (or some gloomy crypts) would be pretty neat. One server I knew in the past had three different post death areas, one for each good-, evil- & neutral- aligned characters, but that might be a bit to much.

Back to top Go down
Mammon
Admin
Mammon

DMFI Empty
PostSubject: Re: DMFI   DMFI EmptyTue Sep 07, 2010 10:05 am

I'm thinking graveyard on a hill, wrought iron fences, a few dead trees, wandering spirits... LOTS of fog and spooky noises... five minute respawn timer (Maybe?) so they can't just hop out of the place right away...

of course the timer has to wait until we get CSL integrated because the ondeath script will change. but really i'm not picky on the subject. Can't do a straight fugue approach because that's a purely Forgotten Realms thing, but Greyhawk has almost no information on it's cosmology, unless someone has access to a 1st edition planes manual (don't know the exact word) or possibly Deities and Demigods (another 1st edition book).

I don't think dnd that far back ever really dealt with the great beyond.

Heck, let's just send em all to hell and be done with it. Teach them to lay down and die on our server!
Back to top Go down
simmostrikes

simmostrikes

DMFI Empty
PostSubject: Re: DMFI   DMFI EmptyTue Sep 07, 2010 5:28 pm

You could potentially do all three in the one area and just not allow access between.

Good has a nice shiny area

Neutral has a big empty space =P

Evil has the graveyard

I think to start off with a single simple area might be the best option initially though. I think I saw a god and deities book onlline, I'll do another search tonight.
Back to top Go down
All Washed Up
Admin
All Washed Up

DMFI Empty
PostSubject: Re: DMFI   DMFI EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 8:21 am

I think the Last Chance Inn should be where the players go when they die, have it greyed out like the shadowplane. And be a very blah place, they can wait to be rezed by their friends, choose to respawn (10%xp hit per level) by going through a medium convo with the Barkeeper, or walk out the front door to delete their character, after they consented in a convo.

Basically just a little Inn in purgatory before they are judged.
Back to top Go down
simmostrikes

simmostrikes

DMFI Empty
PostSubject: Re: DMFI   DMFI EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 5:41 pm

Hey what did you guys think of when you rez yourself you wake up in a graveyard where you were burried? =D
Back to top Go down
Mammon
Admin
Mammon

DMFI Empty
PostSubject: Re: DMFI   DMFI EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 6:05 pm

lol nice simmo. It might work, I was thinking of having them wake up next to a surgeons table in the healer's house, but i suppose we'll figure that out once we actually get the death script put into the module. i do think respawn needs something better than waking up in a temple :-\. graveyard sounds pretty good.
Back to top Go down
simmostrikes

simmostrikes

DMFI Empty
PostSubject: Re: DMFI   DMFI EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 6:38 pm

I was never a fan of the temple Rez unless your team picked up your corpse and dragged you to one
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

DMFI Empty
PostSubject: Re: DMFI   DMFI Empty

Back to top Go down

DMFI
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
City of Rookroost :: General Discussion :: Suggestions-
Jump to: