City of Rookroost
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the Neverwinter Nights 2 Persistent World, City of Rookroost.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Templar Base Class

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
All Washed Up
Admin
All Washed Up

Templar Base Class Empty
PostSubject: Templar Base Class   Templar Base Class EmptyWed May 18, 2011 1:43 am

Does this class appear to be a reasonable replacement class for the favored soul?

I do not mind favored souls/oracels in home games, but in a situation where 10+ people could be playing at once, they would annoy me because they are suppose to be rare and special things.

The templar is loosely based on the Holy Warrior variant cleric out of the pathfinder campaign setting. While they should not be spontaneous casters, there is no real way to change that. They should also have a strong ab and d10 hit dice, but that strikes me as too strong in an online environment. In exchange for not getting the increased ab and hit dice, I let them keep the weapon focus/spec feats, and gave the greater weapon focus (13th) and greater weapon spec(20th) to replace the favored soul's supernatural and spell like abilities.
Back to top Go down
Lord_Raven88

Lord_Raven88

Templar Base Class Empty
PostSubject: Re: Templar Base Class   Templar Base Class EmptyWed May 18, 2011 1:52 am

All Washed Up wrote:
Does this class appear to be a reasonable replacement class for the favored soul?

I do not mind favored souls/oracels in home games, but in a situation where 10+ people could be playing at once, they would annoy me because they are suppose to be rare and special things.

The templar is loosely based on the Holy Warrior variant cleric out of the pathfinder campaign setting. While they should not be spontaneous casters, there is no real way to change that. They should also have a strong ab and d10 hit dice, but that strikes me as too strong in an online environment. In exchange for not getting the increased ab and hit dice, I let them keep the weapon focus/spec feats, and gave the greater weapon focus and greater weapon spec to replace the favored soul's supernatural and spell like abilities.
The class seems ok.

However if you want a class (even a base class) to feel special, make it only playable with DM permission. That way you don't need to create work arounds. I'm a firm believer that PC's shouldn't need tons of special classes to have an interesting memorable character. They should be able to do that, even if they only had 6 or 8 basic classes. Just my thoughts Wink
Back to top Go down
__doug__

Templar Base Class Empty
PostSubject: Re: Templar Base Class   Templar Base Class EmptyWed May 18, 2011 3:48 pm

I think it is fine the way you have it. I wouldn't mind playing one of those actually.Is the class really going to just use Wisdom for casting instead of Wisdom & Charisma?

As far as the favored soul goes if you think of the players as the heros of the BK they probably represent most of the favored souls of the BK so there would be about 10 in the whole BK area. That still seems pretty special. Just my thoughts...

Doug
Back to top Go down
All Washed Up
Admin
All Washed Up

Templar Base Class Empty
PostSubject: Re: Templar Base Class   Templar Base Class EmptyWed May 18, 2011 3:58 pm

While I fully agree with you Raven, we are going to be competing against servers that offer kaerdin's pack with few restrictions.

This was also to prevent favored souls stacking levels with paladin (whom use charisma for casting). I kind of like having all the full divine casters requiring wisdom now. It makes the same magic items useful for all four classes. After thinking it over I will be dropping the weapon focus/spec feats from the templar, I already provided them with heavy armor and tower shields.

Yes Doug, both the templar and spirit shaman use wisdom for bonus spells, spell level qualification and their DCs. The split spell casting stats were done away with in pathfinder. I always thought they were silly personally.

Edit: I suppose you are right about the favored souls doug, I will kick it around a day or so. I suppose they would need to be charisma based as their description talks about them casting spells through their force of personality.
Back to top Go down
__doug__

Templar Base Class Empty
PostSubject: Re: Templar Base Class   Templar Base Class EmptyMon Jun 06, 2011 8:14 am

Any decision on the class or are you still thinking about it? I saw that it was removed from the listing.

Doug
Back to top Go down
All Washed Up
Admin
All Washed Up

Templar Base Class Empty
PostSubject: Re: Templar Base Class   Templar Base Class EmptyWed Jun 08, 2011 4:36 pm

We are going back to the pathfinder classes.

I did find out that I if I change the favored souls class 2da line to "memorized" and grant it "all spells known" it works just like the cleric. So... When we deiced to add in a couple of pathfinder classes, I will add a class similar to this, but that casts spells like a cleric. It would have one fewer spell per day of each level spell as they do not have domains.
Back to top Go down
__doug__

Templar Base Class Empty
PostSubject: Re: Templar Base Class   Templar Base Class EmptyFri Jun 10, 2011 1:46 pm

Sounds good to me! Looking forward to seeing what you end up doing with the classes.

Doug
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Templar Base Class Empty
PostSubject: Re: Templar Base Class   Templar Base Class Empty

Back to top Go down

Templar Base Class
Page 1 of 1