City of Rookroost
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the Neverwinter Nights 2 Persistent World, City of Rookroost.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Alternate Class Abilities: Ranger

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
All Washed Up
Admin
All Washed Up

Alternate Class Abilities: Ranger Empty
PostSubject: Alternate Class Abilities: Ranger   Alternate Class Abilities: Ranger EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 11:52 am

Ranger
Hunting Party (4th): The ranger can share her insight against the party's foes, for a number of rounds equal to the ranger's wisdom modifier, the ranger's party receives a +2 to attack and damage rolls. This increases to +4 at 8th level and +6 at 12th level.
  • this would replace their animal companion

Hunting Party replaces the ranger's pet which tends to be pretty useless even at higher levels. I cannot give rangers the ability to select one or the other as the class uses bonus feats for the combat style.

What do you guys think?

Back to top Go down
NightBelow

NightBelow

PostSubject: Re: Alternate Class Abilities: Ranger   Alternate Class Abilities: Ranger EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 4:24 pm

A pretty good idea IMO. Would the effects apply to the ranger as well, or 'merely' to her/his companions ?

+6 seems to be pretty powerful, but compared to what casters can do it's quite alright I guess. Maybe +1/+3/+5 would also work.

Back to top Go down
Mammon
Admin
Mammon

PostSubject: Re: Alternate Class Abilities: Ranger   Alternate Class Abilities: Ranger EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 6:07 pm

Agreed with the opness of it... maybe reduced to +1/3 levels? That way at level 15 (hard cap of the server) we'll have +5? pretty big bump for a group of six guys doing 3 attacks/round each.

also, how many times per day? i think the duration is a little low, since the player is losing a meat shield/source of dps, perhaps we could extend the duration a bit?
Back to top Go down
All Washed Up
Admin
All Washed Up

PostSubject: Re: Alternate Class Abilities: Ranger   Alternate Class Abilities: Ranger EmptyThu Sep 09, 2010 3:01 pm

NightBelow wrote:
A pretty good idea IMO. Would the effects apply to the ranger as well, or 'merely' to her/his companions ?

+6 seems to be pretty powerful, but compared to what casters can do it's quite alright I guess. Maybe +1/+3/+5 would also work.

Its really only suppose to apply to the companions, but I had planed on applying it to the ranger as well. The favored enemies in PF are stronger then in 3.5 and NWN2, so this provides a nice buff to the ranger, a class I wish I could do more for. Favored enemies in nwn2 add a +1 bonus on Bluff, Listen, Spot, and weapon damage, while in pathfinder it adds +2 bonus on Bluff, Knowledge, Perception (search/spot/listen), Sense Motive, Survival, Attack and Damage. Every time the ranger selects a new FE, the old FE increases by +2.

Do you think making it an instant ability would be to over powered?

Hunting Party (4th): The ranger can share her insight against the party's foes, for a number of rounds equal to her wisdom modifier. The ranger and her allies receives a +1 to attack and damage rolls for every three levels the ranger has. This increases to +2 at 6th level, +3 at 9th, +4 at 12th, +5 at 15th level, and so on.
Back to top Go down
Mammon
Admin
Mammon

PostSubject: Re: Alternate Class Abilities: Ranger   Alternate Class Abilities: Ranger EmptyThu Sep 09, 2010 3:33 pm

That ability looks fine to me, doesn't seem like it'd be op. of course, testing may prove otherwise :-\
Back to top Go down
NightBelow

NightBelow

PostSubject: Re: Alternate Class Abilities: Ranger   Alternate Class Abilities: Ranger EmptyThu Sep 09, 2010 7:00 pm

+1 per 3 class levels seems fine I guess. Might want to change the duration to 2 rounds + WIS modifier, since most rangers invest in a WIS score of 14(+2) or 16(+3) at most.
Back to top Go down
All Washed Up
Admin
All Washed Up

PostSubject: Re: Alternate Class Abilities: Ranger   Alternate Class Abilities: Ranger EmptyThu Sep 09, 2010 9:27 pm

NightBelow wrote:
+1 per 3 class levels seems fine I guess. Might want to change the duration to 2 rounds + WIS modifier, since most rangers invest in a WIS score of 14(+2) or 16(+3) at most.

We could inverse the bonuses and duration, so that the ranger and her allies receive a bonus equal to the ranger's wisdom modifier for a number of rounds equal to her ranger level.
Back to top Go down
Mammon
Admin
Mammon

PostSubject: Re: Alternate Class Abilities: Ranger   Alternate Class Abilities: Ranger EmptyThu Sep 09, 2010 9:28 pm

All Washed Up wrote:
NightBelow wrote:

We could inverse the bonuses and duration, so that the ranger and her allies receive a bonus equal to the ranger's wisdom modifier for a number of rounds equal to her ranger level.

eh, it doesn't scale very well but i suppose the length makes up for it. whatev.

pick one, we'll test it, and try one of the others if it doesnt work out.
Back to top Go down
All Washed Up
Admin
All Washed Up

PostSubject: Re: Alternate Class Abilities: Ranger   Alternate Class Abilities: Ranger EmptyThu Sep 09, 2010 9:45 pm

Mammon wrote:
All Washed Up wrote:
NightBelow wrote:

eh, it doesn't scale very well but i suppose the length makes up for it. whatev.

pick one, we'll test it, and try one of the others if it doesnt work out.

You are correct, but if the ranger casts owl wisdom on herself or has a wisdom boosting item, it would keep up imo. If they cast owls wisdom that would grant an addition +2 to attack and damage rolls, granted they would not be casting that spell until they are level 8-10.

Hunting Guide (4th): The ranger can share her insight against the party's foes, for a number of rounds equal to her ranger level. The ranger and her allies receive a bonus to attack and damage rolls equal to her wisdom modifier. The ranger may use this ability once per hour. ((We will have a 600 round cooldown which is equal to a 1 hour in game.))

Name was changed due to the wow hunter ability Hunting party, I knew is sounded familiar, but could not place it.
Back to top Go down
NightBelow

NightBelow

PostSubject: Re: Alternate Class Abilities: Ranger   Alternate Class Abilities: Ranger EmptyFri Sep 10, 2010 7:05 am

All Washed Up wrote:

Hunting Guide (4th): The ranger can share her insight against the party's foes, for a number of rounds equal to her ranger level. The ranger and her allies receive a bonus to attack and damage rolls equal to her wisdom modifier. The ranger may use this ability once per hour. ((We will have a 600 round cooldown which is equal to a 1 hour in game.))

This is pretty neat IMO, makes your average ranger invest in WIS a bit more as well.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Alternate Class Abilities: Ranger   Alternate Class Abilities: Ranger Empty

Back to top Go down

Alternate Class Abilities: Ranger
Page 1 of 1