City of Rookroost
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the Neverwinter Nights 2 Persistent World, City of Rookroost.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Quests vs. Adventures vs. Modules (Mammon's definitions, please read me)

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Mammon
Admin
Mammon

Quests vs. Adventures vs. Modules  (Mammon's definitions, please read me) Empty
PostSubject: Quests vs. Adventures vs. Modules (Mammon's definitions, please read me)   Quests vs. Adventures vs. Modules  (Mammon's definitions, please read me) EmptyTue Sep 14, 2010 2:53 pm

I'd like to start a discussion on various ideas for quest formats. Before I do that, however, I feel like I need to define some words I'll be using:

Quest: A quest is a simple task, assigned to the pc in some way (usually by an npc, but possibly by an object such as a map or a note or a key), that gives the pc a clearly defined goal. Examples are an innkeeper asking you to clear his basement of rats, a wizard requesting you retrieve his spellbook, or a message to deliver. These are often all that are present in a scripted PW from what I've seen, and I'm not knocking it, but I think we can take it up a notch.

Adventure: An adventure is a larger goal that can be completed by doing a series of quests, with minor xp rewards being offered along the way, some treasures being passed out as each minor quest is completed, and using the journal to give the pcs ideas of what to do next... An example: The Rookroost Thieve's Guild has had one of it's leaders captured. In order to coerce the players into helping them free their fellow, they've captured the local healer, Dalis the Physician, and held him hostage. The PCs, being of a goodly nature, now have quite a big task ahead of them. First, they have to find a way to gain entry to the Rookroost Jail. They could jump a guard, take his uniform and key, and sneak in using the disguise and appropriate cover story, OR... they bribe a guard to open a window on the back side of the jail, lower a rope, and allow the pcs to climb up that way, granting them entry but not the disguise they would have had otherwise, but preventing them from blowing their cover and being surrounded by potential hostiles at the front door. Once inside, the pcs have to search for a key, decide if they want to work quietly or quickly, and free the RTG leader from his cell. AFTER all that, they have to exit the Jail, make their way to the RTG hideout, and present the living RTG leader to the RTG members holding Dalis hostage, make the exchange, and get out with their lives and purses in tact, possibly with some great reward for accomplishing this difficult goal. Alternatively, should the leader die, the PCs will have to burst into the hideout, fight the guards, and free Dalis by force, obviously missing out on potential rewards and gaining the ire of the RTG. This is very likely going to be the first "Adventure" I will attempt to place on the server, and I hope to have it up and running as soon as the more minor "quests" are completed... feedback appreciated.

Module: Modules are on an even grander scale than adventures, and instead of being scripted as the previous two, these will be largely dm run. However, we're going to have them in place on the server so that at any time a dm who is familiar with the storyline and has an appropriate party of PCs to undertake the task can initiate the module, most likely by spawning the correct NPC and initiating with the pcs however they choose. This will take the form of most of the "home" campaigns that people are used to participating in on NWN2 game servers when there is just one dm and a few players that are working towards a common goal (or not). NWNDM has been running a server in this way and I've read up on quite a few others who've had significant success running such events and think that they need to be integrated into the PW. These "modules" will fit in very much with the format you see in any shelf-bought dnd adventure, but they will not be scripted to the point that no dm intervention is involved. These are opportunities for individual DMs to really bring out their story-telling skills for the players, BUT they will need to be extensively developed, documented, bug-tested and explained in a fashion to other dms who wish to use the modules. However, I believe they will be the most rewarding thing about dming on the PW story, because this is a way for PCs to easily effect the game world, or at the very least develop their own character.
Back to top Go down
Mammon
Admin
Mammon

Quests vs. Adventures vs. Modules  (Mammon's definitions, please read me) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quests vs. Adventures vs. Modules (Mammon's definitions, please read me)   Quests vs. Adventures vs. Modules  (Mammon's definitions, please read me) EmptyTue Sep 14, 2010 2:54 pm

I'd appreciate feedback on the above types of adventures so that I can refine the definitions and propose guidelines for creating them.
Back to top Go down

Quests vs. Adventures vs. Modules (Mammon's definitions, please read me)
Page 1 of 1