City of Rookroost
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the Neverwinter Nights 2 Persistent World, City of Rookroost.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Factions & Starting Adventures/Quests

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Lord_Raven88

Lord_Raven88

Factions & Starting Adventures/Quests Empty
PostSubject: Factions & Starting Adventures/Quests   Factions & Starting Adventures/Quests EmptyFri Sep 17, 2010 11:57 pm

Have a starting area where new players (PC with 0 xp) can buy some starting equipment, choose/change their deity choice and join a limited number of factions from level 1.

Below are some suggested factions that level 1 characters could join, to get them immersed in the game and plotting straight away.

* Bandits
* Guards
* Imperial Occupational Forces
* The Resistance
* Thieves Guild
* Wizards Guild

If a player opts to join a faction, then I would suggest that they get some minor faction items and that there are a number of faction-related quests for level 1-2 characters, that give a taste of what the faction is like, and what their priorities are. I'll PM my ideas on these quests to a DM (to avoid spoilers), however they could involve some fed ex quests, a solo quest which involves a minor battle (rats etc) and perhaps a more risky dangerous quest,

Thieves Guild Example
* Pick Pockets Quest - lvl 1
* Threaten/Persuade a Merchant to pay Protection Money - lvl 1
* Persuade a dodgy gate/dock guard to accept bribes a look the other way. - lvl 1
* Remove a nest of rats/vermin from the sewer that threatening an entrance - lvl 1
* Break into a merchants shop that refuse to pay for protection - lvl 2-3
* Break into a house to steal an important document/ledger - lvl 2-3

The above highlights some of the quests that a faction could have to give new players a feel for what the factions is about. If the player did all of his factions quests (along with others), then by level 3 they could graduate from apprentice to be a low level approved member of the guild. At later stages additional quests, requiring the help of others, that are more risky and rewarding could be added to give an ongoing feel for the faction. These could also be DM run faction related quests, they may require participation from a variety of faction/non-faction members. However, this is only to give players a feel for the faction, plotting and intrigue would still be required from them

Most of the above factions would work well for players who are locals to Rookroost. If a player wants a PC that is new to the city, then they could choose that option and start outside of the city gates, and join one of these or others at a later stage.

Resting
IMO it's best when players can rest at the drop of a hat (i.e. mid quest), so they can continually buff themselves. I'd prefer that PC's need to rest within an inn, or outside with the suitable equipment (set up camp), and that resting be allowed only every 10 - 20 RL minutes. In PnP most small quests/adventures must be done with no option to rest in the middle, this adds an extra element of danger and 'realism'. It forces players to use more resources to succeed on an adventure/ and to choose wisely with how they use their spells and buffs.

~~~

Anyway just some thoughts from me, as I said I'll PM some of my ideas for faction related quests/adventures, I'll post more ideas as I have them. While I have no scripting experience per se, I could certainly create some of the NPC's, items involved, add conversations etc to help out. I also taught myself Visual Basic and some SQL programming, so given enough time and practice I could certainly learn how to script in NWN2.
Back to top Go down
Mammon
Admin
Mammon

PostSubject: Re: Factions & Starting Adventures/Quests   Factions & Starting Adventures/Quests EmptySat Sep 18, 2010 1:10 am

On resting, you hit the nail on the head, LR. the idea of being able to plop down mid adventure and get back all 3 fireballs you blew in the last fight makes my skin crawl, so we'll be limiting resting to inns and appropriate outdoor areas, checking for appropriate equipment. I'd like to look at heed's pc tools to see if I can get the tent to plop down as usable and run a forced rest script, and have beds do same (after checking to see if the pc has paid to rest there or not, of course).

I like your suggestions on factions (if the factions themselves aren't quite what's going to be on the server), but we'll have to talk about it. We want players to have to work to join these factions, since they're very secretive and resistant to infiltration, and thus will likely have to implement an application process (Though not one quite as intensive as COA, and having a much quicker turn around time). I don't mean I'll expect players to send me an email with their character's life story OR goals (unless they want faction NPC help with those goals), but I do want the pcs to approach NPCs in game about joining such movements. I'll have to hope that my dms are around enough (and listening to the dm channel) in order to play out these sessions.

Anyways, like I said, I'll sit down with AWU and talk about it, then open in up to discussion after we've established our thoughts on the idea.

I moved your quest ideas to the setting area, so i can remember to dig into them later. We are going to have the Rookroost Thieves Guild on the server, and they will be a powerful entity, and they will be handing out some quests, and these seemed to fit perfectly. I'll gladly hear your other ideas too, if you want to send me details.

I wouldn't worry too much about spoilers here. It's an rp server, which means rp'ing IC knowledge. Plus, the folks on the forum have access to all the stuff out there. When we go alpha, we're not going to have any secrets between dm staff and players, we're going to test literally everything we can, and we're not worried about keeping secrets until (maybe) the beta release.
Back to top Go down
Lord_Raven88

Lord_Raven88

PostSubject: Re: Factions & Starting Adventures/Quests   Factions & Starting Adventures/Quests EmptySat Sep 18, 2010 5:11 am

Mammon wrote:
On resting, you hit the nail on the head, LR. the idea of being able to plop down mid adventure and get back all 3 fireballs you blew in the last fight makes my skin crawl, so we'll be limiting resting to inns and appropriate outdoor areas, checking for appropriate equipment. I'd like to look at heed's pc tools to see if I can get the tent to plop down as usable and run a forced rest script, and have beds do same (after checking to see if the pc has paid to rest there or not, of course).

I like your suggestions on factions (if the factions themselves aren't quite what's going to be on the server), but we'll have to talk about it. We want players to have to work to join these factions, since they're very secretive and resistant to infiltration, and thus will likely have to implement an application process (Though not one quite as intensive as COA, and having a much quicker turn around time). I don't mean I'll expect players to send me an email with their character's life story OR goals (unless they want faction NPC help with those goals), but I do want the pcs to approach NPCs in game about joining such movements. I'll have to hope that my dms are around enough (and listening to the dm channel) in order to play out these sessions.

Anyways, like I said, I'll sit down with AWU and talk about it, then open in up to discussion after we've established our thoughts on the idea.

I moved your quest ideas to the setting area, so i can remember to dig into them later. We are going to have the Rookroost Thieves Guild on the server, and they will be a powerful entity, and they will be handing out some quests, and these seemed to fit perfectly. I'll gladly hear your other ideas too, if you want to send me details.

I wouldn't worry too much about spoilers here. It's an rp server, which means rp'ing IC knowledge. Plus, the folks on the forum have access to all the stuff out there. When we go alpha, we're not going to have any secrets between dm staff and players, we're going to test literally everything we can, and we're not worried about keeping secrets until (maybe) the beta release.
Thanks for the feedback. It's a relief to hear your plans for the resting system.

Regarding the factions and starting quests, most of my ideas are there to help a new player level 1-2 to get a taste of what life is like for an average faction member, and give them tasks that make sense for their character concept. It always struck me as a bit odd, for evil rogues, being forced to clean the of a kindly old lady of vermin, just so they can get XP and a minor amount of gold.

Having said that, it would also work if you treat all players as being new to the city, they then approach the faction they're interested (such as Thieves Guild) and then do the quests as a way to prove they've got the right stuff to join. Not all players could do every type of quest, particular those with limited skills points trying to use bluff, intimidate, or persuade skills. So a mix of quests, or allowing multiple options (brute force, skill checks, or favours) would make sense.

At the end of the day, my ideas are merely suggestions, so it's up to you want you use/discard. Once I'm more familar with the setting I'll should be able to come up with more ideas/suggestions.

And finally I've added some proposed quests for Guards, Imperial Army (not sure on actual name), Bandits, and the Resistance (really needs a cool name like Sons of Freedom or something). I have some quests for wizards, but since arcane magic is outlawed it could be difficult to find a Master/mentor.
Back to top Go down
Mammon
Admin
Mammon

PostSubject: Re: Factions & Starting Adventures/Quests   Factions & Starting Adventures/Quests EmptySat Sep 18, 2010 10:49 am

We'll clear up some stuff on factions on the factions forum, but I really like your ideas you've posted there.

I would like to give each faction a few quests playable by new pcs so they can get a feel for what the faction is like before actually joining. I like the allowances made for skillmongers over damagetypes. This is something I've always thought we needed more of on the server. Also, giving options for the players to use their skills intelligently (Different threats for intimidate options, different areas for search options) rather than just making them do a simple roll is going to be fun to try and implement. Keep up your suggestions, they're great!
Back to top Go down
Lord_Raven88

Lord_Raven88

PostSubject: Re: Factions & Starting Adventures/Quests   Factions & Starting Adventures/Quests EmptySat Sep 18, 2010 4:50 pm

Mammon wrote:
We'll clear up some stuff on factions on the factions forum, but I really like your ideas you've posted there.

I would like to give each faction a few quests playable by new pcs so they can get a feel for what the faction is like before actually joining. I like the allowances made for skillmongers over damagetypes. This is something I've always thought we needed more of on the server. Also, giving options for the players to use their skills intelligently (Different threats for intimidate options, different areas for search options) rather than just making them do a simple roll is going to be fun to try and implement. Keep up your suggestions, they're great!
A variety of options for skill choices sounds great, you could give different bonuses and penalties for using differnent conversation options. So if a PC decides to threaten an NPC, perhaps their could 2-3 different options, with behind the scenes modifiers, based on the selected option. Clues could be given as part of the NPC conversation, so an astute PC could work out the most effective option to use.
Back to top Go down
NWN DM

NWN DM

PostSubject: Re: Factions & Starting Adventures/Quests   Factions & Starting Adventures/Quests EmptySat Sep 18, 2010 7:59 pm

Just keep in mind that every time you do this you're essentially doubling the amount of work needed to complete the quest/conversation on the builder side.

In principle for what if offers to players, it's great.
Back to top Go down
simmostrikes

simmostrikes

PostSubject: Re: Factions & Starting Adventures/Quests   Factions & Starting Adventures/Quests EmptySun Sep 19, 2010 3:51 am

You could set up 2 types of quests for playing.

Story Quests.

These are critical to your class or faction in the world. These would of course chain to bigger quests as you develop in the game.
(Can only do once)

Side Quests.

Random quests for fun and learning extra things about the game world. These are for certain level brackets. (1-4, 5-7, 8-10, 12+)
(redo-able without or diminished returns experience)

Of course setting the exp low would be a definite thing but maybe have an item that is useful in questing and cash as a reward so people would redo quests.
Back to top Go down
Lord_Raven88

Lord_Raven88

PostSubject: Re: Factions & Starting Adventures/Quests   Factions & Starting Adventures/Quests EmptySun Sep 19, 2010 6:06 am

Mammon wrote:
Diggin the ideas, LR. I'd like to keep all quests moving pcs up and down a reputation scale for different factions concerning what quests they do. Catch a criminal? Gain reputation with the populace and the city guard, but lose it with the RTG. Kill an insurgent, and gain reputation with the Church of Iuz, the City Guard, but lose it with the Brotherhood of the Sundered Axe.

Anyways, that's what I'm thinkin.
I like the idea of tracking faction reputation. It would work well if some of the quests (snitch, dodgy merchants supplying weapons crate etc) all used the same NPC's, that way if the PC's try and do multi faction quests the word will get around the NPC's, who may take a dim view of this. I'm assuming this would be tracked via a database or player token, so that record of these quests survive server reset.

Anyway, added some more quest ideas for 'Insurgent' faction, which could also be used in the 'bandit' faction, or whereever it seems to make the most sense. Anyway let me know what I can do to help things along, and I'm more than willing to getting things underway bounce

BTW, whan is this game scheduled to go live?
Back to top Go down
Mammon
Admin
Mammon

PostSubject: Re: Factions & Starting Adventures/Quests   Factions & Starting Adventures/Quests EmptySun Sep 19, 2010 12:02 pm

We're tentatively scheduled to launch alpha on October 23rd, but that's dependent on how much work we get done on the server. It's looking pretty good from where I stand :-).

True, trying to play both sides should hurt the pcs, I like it. I'll have to look at how to implement that. Reputations will be tracked in MySQL so they'll survive server reset and be easily checked by dms. it may be possible to check the reputation of a player before new reputation is applied so that it can penalize traitors and double agents.

I think any Bandit faction would have to be player-based. I ~might~ be nice to a particularly talented group of bandits and give them a little cave/hideout to chill in with some persistent storage, but we'll see. depends on how much bring add to the server :-).

I'm going to work on looking at how to implement quests that don't go away past server reset, but it may have to wait until after alpha. I'd like to have some quests that expose server plots and storylines slowly so as to give it a true "persistent" feeling, but the problem with such quests is that new players are forced to wait until there are enough other new players around to do the quest with them, although this wouldn't apply to solo quests. It's why I'd prefer to have such quests be run as dm-required so that they can be run with dm discretion.

Quest brackets are going to make it easier to scale quests. I'll have to figure out how to implement that as well. Maybe on area enter the mod can check the pc's level and adjust the spawns according to that. I hope I can insert some area background/story info in every quest, since it is an rp server, it's important to have story and rp being around all the time. (imo)

great ideas guys! keep em coming!
Back to top Go down
Lord_Raven88

Lord_Raven88

PostSubject: Re: Factions & Starting Adventures/Quests   Factions & Starting Adventures/Quests EmptyMon Sep 20, 2010 5:49 pm

Sending System
It would be great if a sending system like they use in City of Arabel, could be incorporated in City of Rookroost (CoR). It makes is so much easy to get players together, so you can team up for a quest.

Starting Location
You're probably going to do it anyway, but I would like to suggest that the starting location for all new players is just outside of the city walls of Rookroost. I would also suggest that there aren't multiple possible starting locations, especially in the beginning. Since I got my new PC (1 week ago) and I can finally play NWN2, I've tried my hand at a few servers, none of which has the right mix of gameplay.

On one server you were able to start either at a port or on a caravan. Either way there was way to much wilderness (and dangers) and was to spread out and it took to long to get to the darn city. It made me realise the importance of starting near the main play area (the City), which then forces people to explore the city, and keeps players relatively close, so they can find each other.

I suspect they same will be true of CoR, especially in the early days, when the main players will most likely be those of us who're keen now.

CoR Going Live - Micro DM
I have a suggestion for both players and DM's relating to the go live date of the server, to help get things up and running.

Obviously when this server first goes live, it may take some time to attract a solid core of new players. To assist in this, it would be great if a few of us who're going to be players (and have shown an interest at this early stage), could act as Micro DM's.

To really make this server a success we need to have a core group of players who actively seek out and interact with newbies to the server and get them included in plots, intrigue, and adventure ASAP.

So while I have an ideal character I intend to play long-term, I'm willing to shelve my PC in the short-term and play a character who is primarily focussed on interacting with newbies and getting them involved at an early stage, to get them hooked.

So being a Micro DM isn't necessarily about having loads of loot or any special powers, it's more about a willingness to get this server established. To assist in this it would be helpful if we we're given uber loot and special powers Smile

Kidding aside, what we would really need is knowledge of the many adventures/quests on the server. And a willingness to include new players to make it a fun experience for them. If the DM's were willing then they could give us a few extra perks, along with some restrictions (level cap, no powergaming, or abusing special position)

I'm very interested in hearing the opinions of others on this suggestion.
Back to top Go down
Mammon
Admin
Mammon

PostSubject: Re: Factions & Starting Adventures/Quests   Factions & Starting Adventures/Quests EmptyMon Sep 20, 2010 7:48 pm

sending system:
already implemented. There are numerous small platforms around the city where there will be town crier NPCs. These will not be exactly like the server-wide shouts on CoA, which I found a bit ~too~ comprehensive. Instead, what you tell one town crier will be echoed to the other town criers in the same city.

In the future when other cities like riftcrag and stoink are in play, they will have their own sets of town criers. Town criers in one town will not repeat the town cries of town criers in another town. They will be region-specific (although all five areas of rookroost will have town criers echoing each other).

there will likely be a "minstrel" or some other similar character in the taverns making the same town cries as the criers on the exteriors, but these have not been implemented yet.

Starting location:
The starting room of the server will be a small inn room in the dirty dog tavern. For purposes at the start of the server, it'll be made to look like you've just woken up and gotten out of bed, it ~will~ be an ooc room where you can exit through a door conversation that also includes the option to delete your character, port to the exterior of the inn, or port to the location where you last logged off (if the server hasn't reset yet).

Micro-Dms:
It is my hope that everyone here will be playing at least a little, trying to involve new characters and friends in the story of the server. The full time dms will have guidelines on how to monitor the DM channel, which is accessible to any player in game. I hope to see dm interaction in the form of possessing named NPCs to interact with players (after reading the npc's personality notes, of course) either by spicing up quests, coming along as a fellow adventurer, or even having conversations about various goals.
The important thing for ANYONE involved in the server, though, will be to keep the DM team informed of what's going on. The Dms will be posting in the dm forum (as of now locked) to let the other dm's know what is going on, and players will have the ability to submit notes to the dm team AS WELL AS be encouraged to use the forums for letter-writing, journalling, etc. A big part of successful storytelling in any campaign, pnp or otherwise, is communication between the player and the dm. We hope to have that here as well.
Back to top Go down
NWN DM

NWN DM

PostSubject: Re: Factions & Starting Adventures/Quests   Factions & Starting Adventures/Quests EmptyMon Sep 20, 2010 8:29 pm

Some random thoughts and questions. Perhaps they will generate a bit of discussion (and perhaps the answer(s) is/are already out there and I've missed it/them)....

What level will PCs start at? What XP, coinage and equipment will they start at?

Will there be access to a basic equipment merchant before a PC first enters play (and only then)?

Will the server use default/standard gold or adopt in some way the PnP Coins scripting package? I use this in my Northern Cormyr Campaign and must say I love it. This opens it up for us to have Copper Commons, Silver Nobles, Electrum Luckies, Gold Orbs and Platinum Plates.

Will there be any ability for players to change how their equipment looks?

The mentioned MDMs (Micro DMs) is probably not a bad idea. Suggest that any PCs/NPCs developed through this activity be retained in the module as NPCs which can be quest givers or 'preferred NPCs' of the DM that developed them later on when the server is up and running.

Suggest the server start with one section of the city more or less significantly developed, and the rest closed off via gates... IG reason could be plague or something. This would keep the players generally in the same area(s) when numbers are low, instead of spread across multiple city maps.

Need to get a good idea of who is interested in DMing (sounds like the main team is open to this), and what a realistic projection of their availability is. Personally, once I get in the grove, I want to DM pretty well 4 nights a week, but RL and the wife intrude.

One of the big reasons I see PWs fail is lack of players and DMs that are on at the same time to make things interesting for each other. You can start a decent base with three DMs and say eight players, but there needs to be some overlap between the two groups. Suggest trying to adopt a couple of "game night" events where players who are interested or have showed interest can know that if they connect, there will be something going on.

Whatever haks are going to be used, make sure you use as much as possible the standard versions hosted on NWVault. Makes it as painless as possible for new players to connect if they don't have to download yet a 5th copy of (say) 500 mb of RWS content simply renamed 'PWinitials-RWS-all-in-one.hak' for example.

Make an 'empty' development module file available for download for people who want to contribute an area or two. This should already have the haks associated with the module - they will get the actual hak files when they connect from the ADL.

Consider using prefab areas to speed content generation. These can be prefabs from NWVault, or areas pulled from modules that have been released (i.e. Wyrin's WPM remake recently released) - assuming you want to go that route. From personal experience, almost every PW has these kinds of areas... recommend still spending some time modifying the placeables and colouring to make them look less like prefabs and more like custom created areas. This is what I've done for my NC Campaign.

Personally, there has never been a setting that has captivated me as much as Greyhawk. My NWN campaign is set there, and my NWN2 work would be also, if I knew how to combine hak and 2da files so I could get Kaedrin's content merged with the old Greyhawk races/deities hak by JayAre on NWVault. I am interested in playing, building and DMing... but right now for a variety of reasons I don't know what my practical availability will be due to a lot of RL issues that are pending some sort of resolution in the next few months (hopefully).

If anyone wants to chat, I am on MSN Messenger at john.dziadek@hotmail.com... feel free to hit me up for some conversation.
Back to top Go down
Lord_Raven88

Lord_Raven88

PostSubject: Re: Factions & Starting Adventures/Quests   Factions & Starting Adventures/Quests EmptyMon Sep 20, 2010 9:16 pm

Thanks for the update Mammon it looks like you've got things well in hand. I particularly love what you've done with the sending system.

NWN DM wrote:
The mentioned MDMs (Micro DMs) is probably not a bad idea. Suggest that any PCs/NPCs developed through this activity be retained in the module as NPCs which can be quest givers or 'preferred NPCs' of the DM that developed them later on when the server is up and running....

One of the big reasons I see PWs fail is lack of players and DMs that are on at the same time to make things interesting for each other. You can start a decent base with three DMs and say eight players, but there needs to be some overlap between the two groups. Suggest trying to adopt a couple of "game night" events where players who are interested or have showed interest can know that if they connect, there will be something going on.
Good point NWN DM. Part of my reason for suggesting Micro DM's (MDM) is to ensure that we have a few players who are actively seeking to involve newbies in plots/quests. While I try to do this as a matter of course with every PC I have, some PC's lend themselves more to that role than others.

For instance if I created a PC who was secretly a follower of Grazzt, who came to Rookroost to ensure that Iuz's control over the bandit lands doesn't get too strong (which would mean less reliance on the Legions of Grazzt's), the goals of my PC might get in the way of actually being helpful to everyone I meet. Likewise if I were to play a Thug or Rogue who works for the RTG, then I might be more interested in shafting newbies.

So while I will have a main character that I want to play long-term, I will instead build a PC that can interact with pretty much most newbie players, and aid them or send them on quests. And have the focus of interacting with, engaging and supporting new players so that there keen to stick around.

Regarding playtimes, since I'm in NZ (GMT+12), it's unlikely that I'll be on at the same times as most DM's or players. However I will be able to game with and support those who live in a similar timezone as me.
NWN DM wrote:
Suggest the server start with one section of the city more or less significantly developed, and the rest closed off via gates... IG reason could be plague or something. This would keep the players generally in the same area(s) when numbers are low, instead of spread across multiple city maps.
Great idea. I love this. That way we'd be forced to play in a much smaller area, probably where most of the low level quests are anyway.

NWN DM wrote:
Need to get a good idea of who is interested in DMing (sounds like the main team is open to this), and what a realistic projection of their availability is. Personally, once I get in the grove, I want to DM pretty well 4 nights a week, but RL and the wife intrude.
Well I'm happy to split my time between DMing, Building and Playing. Although I'd prefer to play a PC in the beginning. I could see myself as spending blocks of time doing both activities.

Because of my RL situation I can play 3-5 times a week, for roughly two - fours hours at a stretch. Because I have a family, I don't play during the weekends, other than occasionally at night.
NWN DM wrote:
Personally, there has never been a setting that has captivated me as much as Greyhawk.
While I've never actually played in a Greyhawk game, I've read a few of the books and adventures. I love the villains (Grazzt, Iggwilv, Eli Tomorast), and many of the epic adventures (Tomb of Horror, ToEE, RoToEE, Blackmoor etc) set in Greyhawk. Now that I think about it, I started DMing ToEE on a PbP forum, but had to pull out due to RL issues, so that and other adventures probably got me hooked.
Back to top Go down
simmostrikes

simmostrikes

PostSubject: Re: Factions & Starting Adventures/Quests   Factions & Starting Adventures/Quests EmptyMon Sep 20, 2010 11:15 pm

One of my first experiences on NWN Rp servers was being a newbie and dying only to have a party friend run off and find a cleric ho came to my rescue. This cleric then gave us tasks to complete as payment for resurrection. Good times.

Players can makefun for players and this should totally be encouraged and doesn't need any powers per se. When that player finally left us we turned their character into an NPC for DM use as the character was famous.

I agree with few starting areas. Maybe two at most. This is specifically so players can find people to party with or choose to solo.

Further have you found any experienced DMs for your server? As in people who have DM experience, familiar with NWNDM'ing etc. Another thing to consider is the unseen DM too; the DM that adds difficulty to just normal questing.

I'd want to play and build initially and as the player base increases offer DM'ing on a frequent basis. We were lucky with our server being hosted by an ISP that the players were there to fill the 3 servers.

Note my timezone is +10 Brisbane, Aust.
Back to top Go down
Mammon
Admin
Mammon

PostSubject: Re: Factions & Starting Adventures/Quests   Factions & Starting Adventures/Quests EmptyMon Sep 20, 2010 11:33 pm

I was going to pitch it as a story, but now that you've mentioned keeping the city small, I was going to close off the eastern portion of the city due to plague, but keep central, northwest, west, and south open. The storyline would involve horned society (nerull cultist) refugees starting a plague, which was particularly bad in the eastern district. However, if either of you get the module off dropbox, and then walk around a bit, I'd love to know what other thoughts you could pitch on that idea.

I'm working heavily on getting the class 2das ready now, but haven't completed the process yet. I have used several areas off the vault and plan to use several more, I just haven't found connecting areas to get all the areas hooked up yet, and almost every area i download has to be retouched to fit the BK, but in the end they fit quite nicely. (The fellreev forest sections are great examples of this).

The plan is for players to start at level 1 with standard gold per pnp, and the ability to purchase equipment from a starting vendor. HOPEFULLY I'll find a way to make the module make sure it's a first time pc, so they only get the message once. Otherwise, I may have to make the store be something like an armiore in an inn room and have everyone start there (dunno how i'll deal with crowding but we'll figure it out).

After I get the classes done i'm going to look at instituting the coinage hak, but i'm not sure what issues (if any) it will present.

Also, after the classes are done, this will be implemented as well. I'd like it to be only able to be done in the starting area but i'm open to suggestions on this. Maybe make a blacksmith that's willing to make the alterations in game.

As for Dm'ing, NWN is likely the most experienced and I hope he's willing to offer lessons/pointers in the process. We have a vent server for communication between dms (if wanted) to expedite the process. I've done some dm'ing in game, but most of my dm experience lies at the table. However, I'll probably be in game more as a player at first, and spend most of my time building or scripting.
Back to top Go down
Lord_Raven88

Lord_Raven88

PostSubject: Re: Factions & Starting Adventures/Quests   Factions & Starting Adventures/Quests EmptyMon Sep 20, 2010 11:48 pm

simmostrikes wrote:
One of my first experiences on NWN Rp servers was being a newbie and dying only to have a party friend run off and find a cleric ho came to my rescue. This cleric then gave us tasks to complete as payment for resurrection. Good times.

Players can makefun for players and this should totally be encouraged and doesn't need any powers per se. When that player finally left us we turned their character into an NPC for DM use as the character was famous.
I totally agree. And it's what I'm going to aim to do myself. However, since I usually play evil machivellian type characters, and my main character is along the lines, what I'm really saying is that I'm going to put aside my usual preferences and play something that is more inclusive of others.

Mammon wrote:
The plan is for players to start at level 1 with standard gold per pnp, and the ability to purchase equipment from a starting vendor. HOPEFULLY I'll find a way to make the module make sure it's a first time pc, so they only get the message once. Otherwise, I may have to make the store be something like an armiore in an inn room and have everyone start there (dunno how i'll deal with crowding but we'll figure it out).
A simple way is for all PCs who have 0 XP begin in the start area. Once they've chosen to leave the start area, set their XP to 1. Which prevents them from returning to the start area with characters above level 1.

Module
I'm happy to have a look around the module as it stands. However I'm not sure what this dropbox is that you keep mentioning. So some pointers would be helpful.

DMing
Like many, I have tons of DMing experience, but little to no experience with using the DM tools in NWN2. However, I doubt it will be too hard to pick up. While it is important to have good DM's, I thinks it's more important to have great players, who really get others involved. That is something I always look for myself.
Back to top Go down
NightBelow

NightBelow

PostSubject: Re: Factions & Starting Adventures/Quests   Factions & Starting Adventures/Quests EmptyMon Sep 20, 2010 11:58 pm

Nothing left but to agree on the aforementioned points, excellent posts guys.

As for the micro- or semi- DMs: Like I stated in another thread I'd rather focus on being a player for the time being, but of course I'd be happy to help out with stuff both on the server (testing, portraying semi NPCs, helping newbie players) as well as offline (lore assistance, bits of administrative work, etc.).
Back to top Go down
Mammon
Admin
Mammon

PostSubject: Re: Factions & Starting Adventures/Quests   Factions & Starting Adventures/Quests EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 12:03 am

Dropbox is a great program that the builders have been using to toss the module back and forth. go to dropbox.com and download it, then send me a pm for the login/password for protected files. we'll also be using dropbox as a filetransfer for the ADL because it's just so dang stellar.

IF you do make changes to the module (create a new area, update an existing one, etc) DO NOT replace the existing module. Instead, create a folder with your name, place the files you updated in it (don't change the name), and send me a pm explaining what you did. The master copy (how many copies) are stored in various locations and updated regularly, but if you do something to the module and corrupt it other people wont be able to play around with it.

anyways, like i said: www.dropbox.com, download the program, pm me for the password. this will also give you access to numerous story resources we have online.
Back to top Go down
simmostrikes

simmostrikes

PostSubject: Re: Factions & Starting Adventures/Quests   Factions & Starting Adventures/Quests EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 12:47 am

I can also offer help learning how to use the DM tools. I have DM'd for many years online and at the table. Especially in NWN PW situations. TS3/Vent are good for this, I use both lol

FYI you can use NWNX4 to have a field that is empty when a new player starts and when they have been to merchant it gets changed to a 1 or something so that there is no way for any hacks or exploits to get around it.
Back to top Go down
Mammon
Admin
Mammon

PostSubject: Re: Factions & Starting Adventures/Quests   Factions & Starting Adventures/Quests EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 3:27 am

brilliant simmo, I'll do that.
Back to top Go down
simmostrikes

simmostrikes

PostSubject: Re: Factions & Starting Adventures/Quests   Factions & Starting Adventures/Quests EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 6:04 am

NWNX and I used to be lovers... I know how she likes it lol
Back to top Go down
NWN DM

NWN DM

PostSubject: Re: Factions & Starting Adventures/Quests   Factions & Starting Adventures/Quests EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 9:08 am

Guess I better figure out how to get on Vent then. bounce

Haven't looked at the module yet, but Rookroost as I envision it is a pretty run down city.

Buildings made from stone will be drab grey, likely with darker stains on them from the elements, and wooden roofs will be a faded brownish gray. Buildings made from wood probably should also exhibit this same faded colour scheme... any colouring/decoration tinting should start with the "full" colour and be moved towards the gray end of the scale.

Prominent/wealthy buildings can be made vibrant and colourful, which will make them stand out even more.

A pity I've all this yard work in the fall (every year), or I'd be looking at it right now!
Back to top Go down
Mammon
Admin
Mammon

PostSubject: Re: Factions & Starting Adventures/Quests   Factions & Starting Adventures/Quests EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 11:18 am

when i went through and did placeables i tried to spice up the color scheme a bit but i wasn't incredibly happy. I still need to figure out the weather/fog. Iuz keeps all regions under his control overcast/rainy because his nonhuman armies can take advantage of their darkvision in a fight better, though some days the region is too vast for him to control and light blindness still applies.

anyways, when you guys get some opinions rolling, let me know.

also, simmo, i'm really new to nwnx4, so any pointers you could offer would be appreciated.

FOR STARTERS, how would i go about retrieving a players location on logout and save that to a persistent database that would allow them to return to that area when they log back in? (actually this question should go in script questions so i'll put it there).
Back to top Go down
simmostrikes

simmostrikes

PostSubject: Re: Factions & Starting Adventures/Quests   Factions & Starting Adventures/Quests EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 5:15 pm

When I get some more time off, lots of busy weekends ahead until late October, I'll hit photoshop with more effort and see what I can do with some of the normal placeables for that gothic look.

With regards to saving your location in game. I go and look at other people's scripts and assess it like this:
* More - what does it do well and how can we do more like this
* Better - got the idea but how can I make it better
* Different - they get the result but not the way it should be done (like a workaround)
* Less - bad way to do it, avoid this

That being said have a look at these:
Persistent location saver
http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=NWN2Scripts.Detail&id=314
Persistent banking system
http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=NWN2Scripts.Detail&id=240

I'll help where I can FYI Mammon. I have to get myself up to speed with NWNX4
Back to top Go down
Mammon
Admin
Mammon

PostSubject: Re: Factions & Starting Adventures/Quests   Factions & Starting Adventures/Quests EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 5:26 pm

great simmo....
for the record i used a LOT of dock housing structures. if you dont mind take a look at those and see how you can spice em up for me? thanks man.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Factions & Starting Adventures/Quests   Factions & Starting Adventures/Quests Empty

Back to top Go down

Factions & Starting Adventures/Quests
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next